Source: Vientiane Times
Vientiane authorities will issue fines up to 10 million kip to entities who infringe the measures put in place to keep Covid-19 in check.
The capital’s Taskforce for Covid-19 Prevention and Control recently issued a notice announcing the fines, which will range from 500,000 to 10 million kip depending on the severity of the offence.
An entity that violates the measures imposed by the government, the National Taskforce for Covid-19 Prevention and Control or the Vientiane taskforce, as well as measures introduced by various state agencies, will be fined between 5 and 10 million kip per violation.
An individual who breaches the rules will be fined between 500,000 and 3 million kip per violation.
Authorities in Savannakhet province have also imposed fines for similar offences, although the amounts are smaller.
The fines are aimed at ensuring that everyone continues to comply with the rules in an attempt to prevent further outbreaks of the virus in more communities.
Authorities have blamed the violation of virus prevention measures as a main reason for the continuing spread of Covid in communities and villages.
Previous reports suggest that some people are continuing to socialise in disregard of government guidelines, particularly on social distancing.
In addition, some entertainment venues have remained open unlawfully, with some turning into restaurants and serving alcoholic drinks to customers in violation of restrictions.
A number of measures have been imposed by state authorities to prevent and contain virus outbreaks.
Vientiane authorities appear to have imposed the toughest measures in the country following reports of more locally-transmitted cases.
The capital’s authorities have imposed 10 prohibitions and closures as follows:
- Travel on roads is prohibited from 10pm to 5am. Exceptions will be made for essential trips such as the transport of goods, food and medical equipment, ambulances, fire-fighting trucks, rescue vehicles, and vehicles owned by officials.
- Closure of all schools, with entrance exams to tertiary education institutions suspended.
- Karaoke and other entertainment venues, tourist sites, night markets, food gardens, liquor outlets including grill shops where alcoholic beverages are sold, theatres, snooker clubs, massage and spa services, beauty salons, internet cafés and gaming shops must remain closed.
- Meetings, training courses and other activities involving more than 20 people are banned.
- Any kind of party or gathering in any location is prohibited. People who infringe the rule will be placed in quarantine at a quarantine centre or designated hotel.
- All indoor and outdoor sports are prohibited.
- Residents living in Vientiane’s red zones are prohibited from travelling to the provinces. Meanwhile, people living in red zones outside of Vientiane are not permitted to enter the city, unless given permission by the Covid-19 taskforce.
- Closure of traditional and local border checkpoints. Passenger transport via the first Laos-Thailand Mekong Friendship Bridge is suspended. Exception will be given to the transport of goods and people given permission by the Covid-19 taskforce.
- Rises in product prices and the stockpiling of goods is not allowed.
- Circulation of fake news is prohibited.
These measures will be in place until the community outbreak of the virus is brought under control.