International Border Crossings Remain Closed To Ordinary Travellers: Latest Update
Source: Vientiane Times
The Prime Minister’s Office issued the update on Saturday, relaxing some of the restrictions in a bid to gradually normalise the situation and mitigate economic impacts. The update applies from November 1 to December 31.
The main international border crossings remain closed to ordinary travellers except for essential use by Lao and foreign nationals as allowed by the National Taskforce for Covid-19 Prevention and Control. The transport of goods across these borders is continuing as normal.
Traditional and local border crossings remain closed, except those allowed by the government to open for the transport of goods.
The government is continuing to suspend the issuing of tourist or visit visas for individuals travelling from or transiting via countries with Covid-19 outbreaks, except for tour groups permitted by the taskforce to enter Laos.
Diplomats, staff of international organisations, experts, investors, businesspeople, technical staff, and workers deemed essential for operations in Laos can enter the country upon approval by the taskforce.
The government has permitted entertainment venues to reopen in the latest easing of restrictions that were put in place earlier in the year to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
Places of entertainment have been closed for several months, which has caused hardship for business operators and employees.
To ensure these venues do not become breeding grounds for the virus, managers are required to strictly comply with the set closing time and Covid-19 prevention measures.
The government will also hold more talks with Vietnam and Japan on easing entry restrictions into Laos, as well as with some other Asean member countries that have requested similar consideration.
Many measures still remain in place in a bid to prevent the virus from being brought into the country.
Speaking at a press conference on Sunday, the Vice Chairman of the taskforce, Associate Prof. Dr Phouthone Muongpak, said authorities would regularly assess the implementation of restrictions and revise preventive measures when necessary.
“If there are any changes, the government will notify the public,” he said.
Laos has recorded 24 confirmed cases of Covid-19 with the most recent cases being detected among people entering the country.
The 23rd person to test positive for the virus was discharged from hospital on November 2, leaving only one infected person still under observation at Mittaphab Hospital in Vientiane.
Worldwide, more than 46.79 million people were confirmed to have contracted Covid-19 as of November 2. Of these, more than 1.2 million people had died and more than 33.71 million people had recovered, according to the taskforce.
The United States has recorded the highest number of deaths and infections, with more than 9.4 million people having contracted the virus and more than 236,400 people dying.