Road Tax 2015: New Procedures
The Ministry of Finance is informing all vehicle owners that the Road Tax Sticker for 2015 is now available and that it needs to be purchased for all vehicles. The sticker is valid for the calendar year 2015. Further a penalty of 10% per month for purchasing the sticker after 31st May is imposed.
In general, the sticker costs Kip 8’000 for motorbikes and Kip 52’000 for cars (Kip 20’00 for cars with cc lower than 1200), bicycles are free.
In addition J&C Services has been informed that the procedures to purchase the Road Tax Sticker 2015 have changed as following (Vientiane Province only):
– All vehicles will be registered in a new central database
– New the stickers are only available at the District Admin offices (last year the sticker could be purchased at the chief of village, Ministry of Transportation as well as the technical inspection office, among others).
– In order to purchase the sticker, the following documents are needed:
– copy yellow technical book
– copy passport or ID card of the owner of the car
– original road tax sticker 2014
– If the road tax sticker 2014 isn’t available, the tax needs to be paid again, plus a 10% late payment fee applies
– Owners of tax-non paid cars apparently are not required to pay the tax, but need their vehicle to be registered
You may want to take a Lao person with you as many of the tax officials do not speak English; also be prepared to wait 2-3 hours, depending on the number of other vehicles owners waiting to be served.
Alternatively contact us at email@example.com if you wish us to get the road tax sticker for you (service fee Kip 170’000, not including the road tax fee)
According to the officials next year owners can pay the tax in each District Finance Office very quickly as all they have to show is the vehicle’s registration number. After the progress of this pilot system on paying road tax in Vientiane, the Ministry of Finance plans to introduce it in some of the larger provinces.
One thought on “Road Tax 2015: New Procedures”
Pingback: Long Queues To Pay Road Tax - J&C Expat Services Laos
Comments are closed.