Source: Vientiane Times
The National Taskforce Committee for Covid-19 Prevention and Control on Friday reported there had been no more reported cases of Covid-19 for two days, with the total number of confirmed cases remaining stable at 10.
Speaking at a media conference at the National Operation Centre for Covid-19, Associate Prof. Dr Phouthone Muongpak said the committee had recently tested samples from 22 people with symptoms of the virus, which all yielded a negative result.
This is the second day on which authorities have reported no increase in the number of people infected. The news may bring some relief to the government, which is intensifying efforts to contain the spread of the virus.
According to Associate Prof. Dr Phouthone, 11 of the 22 suspected cases came from Vientiane, three each from Luang Namtha and Oudomxay, two from Xayaboury, and one each came from Luang Prabang, Huaphan and Vientiane provinces.
As of April 2, the authorities had tested 520 people for the virus, of whom 10 were shown to be infected.
Associate Prof. Dr Phouthone said Chinese medical officials, who arrived in Laos at the end of last week, were working closely with Lao medical officials in the area of disease control and treatment.
He also said that government officials and members of the public who had been asked to stay at home since April 1 should strictly follow the advice of the committee as part of efforts to control the spread of the virus.
The committee’s key recommendations include frequent handwashing, opening windows to allow greater air flow, regular exercise, eating clean and cooked food, getting plenty of rest, and regularly checking one’s temperature.
Families are also advised to limit the number of times people leave the house, with shopping for food to take place no more than twice a week. While outside, people should maintain a distance of 2 metres from other individuals.
The authorities have ordered the general public and civil servants to stay indoors and work from home. This measure is aimed at preventing the further spread of Covid-19. Vientiane is now quiet and peaceful as people are complying with the government’s order and are afraid of contracting the disease.